Hammitt Hill United Methodist Church
"And she brought forth her first born son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn." - Luke 2:7
This verse represented a humble beginning for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Hammitt Hill Methodist church had humble beginnings. For many years, members of the black community listened to Worship services from this great church, Hammitt Hill United Methodist Church.
Since its beginning, Hammitt Hill Church has been pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. The land deed record shows that a certain fraction of land was purchased in consideration of six dollars ($6.00) cash in hand paid January 10, 1885.
In the State of Mississippi, Lafayette County
The acre herein conveyed begins on the north side line of said ten acres. Tract on the South side of a neighborhood road; thence west to the beginning situated in the county of Lafayette, State of Mississippi. We Frank Kirkwood and Dan Kirdwood convey and warrant to trustees of Hammitt Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, colored, and their successors in office, for the use and benefit of said church, the land described as a certain one acre of land, more or less, conveyed in that certain deed by Miss Maggie Thompson to Catherine Kirkwood, bearing date of January 10, 1885, as the same appears of record in Deed Book BB at page 785 of the Deed Records.
Witness our signatures, this the 22nd day of July, 1935.
Frank Kirkwood (his mark)
Dan Kirkwood (his mark)
I hereby certify that the foregoing instructment was filed for records at 11:30 o'clock a.m. on the 22nd day of July, 1935, and was recorded on the 22nd day of July, 1935.
By Ivadell Mize, D.C.
D.A. Woodard, Chancery Clerk
Building began on September 23, 1962, when Rev. John Henry Jones was pastor and Rev. D.T. Jackson was Superintendent. In 1964, Bro. John Phillip and workers poured the concrete floor. Bro. Willie Boone and workers laid blocks free of charge. Bro. and Sis. Jester Price paid for the windows and screens. The labor was donated.
Pastors of this Great Church
Rev. John Adams, 1962-1965
Rev. O.L. Rencher, 1967-1970
Rev. C.R. Whitley, 1970-1974
Rev. Eddie Brown, 1974-1975
Rev. William Redmond, 1975-1979
Rev. C.R. Whitney, 1980-1983
Rev. Roosevelt Gage, 1983-1997
Rev. Kent Brown, 1997-1999
Rev. Robert Brown, 1999-2001
Rev. Elbrist Mason, 2001-2004
Rev. Debra Mingo-Palmer, June 2004-September 2004
Rev. Marvin Gipson, September 2004-June 2014
Rev. Christopher C. Diggs, 2014-June 11, 2016
During the Fall of 2014, we began to plan and engage in more programs and activities with our sister church, Burns UMC. Our relationship has blossomed as we are continuing to get to know one another and learning how to work together for the upbuilding of God's kingdom. Although we once had our individual identities, we are so glad to now be one congregation ready to do greater work for the Lord.
Sis. Georgia Bryant contributed to this history.